Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Wall

For all my Atlantan friends, you know exactly what ITP and OTP mean!  Well, I propose that while in Viterbo, I will refer to myself as an ITW ("Inside The Wall") inhabitant as opposed to an OTW-er (lol)!

Porta Fiorentina
Porta Romana
As I mentioned in a previous post, the old part of Viterbo, know as Centro Storico (or "Old Town") is surrounded by a medieval wall built between the 11th and 13th centuries.  A couple of days ago, I ventured outside the wall to check it out and it didn't disappoint.  I am just amazed that something built 700-900 years ago is still very much alive and kicking!

One of the many banners
hanging from the wall in
preparation for the Festa

di Santa Rosa, Viterbo's
patron saint.
Either the wall was damaged at
some 
point in its history or the
"newer" part of the wall is to the
left, if you want to call
700 years "new".
Above and below are just a few of the portas (or "doorways") I took a shot of while on my hike.   It took me about an hour or so to take a leisurely walk around the wall leaving and entering at the Porta Romana, which is the closest porta to my apartment.  I have since run around the wall, which takes about 20 minutes.   According to my Centro Storico map, there are 12 of these portas.  I love how different they all are.  Some are very grandiose like the Porta Fiorentina and some can only be traversed by foot, like the Porta Fiorita.
Porta Valle
Porta Fiorita
Porta Faul
Porta San Bonaventura
Porta San Pietro
A typical view of the wall,
battlements and all!
While not considered one of the 
Portas, you can certainly enter 
and exit through this majestic
pedestrian walkway

No comments:

Post a Comment