Thursday, August 22, 2013

Day 1 Walkabout

I made it!  Let the next adventure begin!

The "paint wasn't yet dry" on my summer up in Wolfeboro, NH when I boarded my flight from Atlanta to Chicago-O'Hare to Rome.  The flight over went without incident except for lack of sleep.  Nothing a 2-hour nap couldn't fix....just enough to get me through the rest of the day (it's now 9:15 here...I think I'm going to make it!).

The apartment is so nice.  I have several rooms on the top floor of the building on the corner of Via Cavour and Via Annio (see pic at right).  The school is on the second floor.  The arched doors in the far right are the doors from the street I use to access my apartment and the school.  Not a bad setup!   Roberta and Dave, both SYA employees were there to greet me at the front door as my cab drove up.  After getting the keys
View of Via Cavour from my kitchen
to the apt, a quick tour of the school, and the oh-so-important nap, I ventured out to get a lay of the land.  Boy I wish I knew some Italian, but that will hopefully follow soon.

Inside the Cattedrale di
San Lorenzo (1192)
The old part of Viterbo is surrounded by a medieval wall from the 12th century, which is where the school and my apartment are located.  It's a wonderful and quaint town as a result...lots of character and history, which I hope learn more of while I'm here.  It was a nice sunny day and people were out and about.  I couldn't understand anything anybody was saying but they were friendly.  I even went to the fruit/vegetable market across the street from the apartment and purchased a few things for my first dinner in the Big "V"; penne mixed with zucchini, tomatoes, and crumbled prosciutto topped with fresh pesto (made today) and Parmesan cheese. Here are a few other pics of my walkabout today.  More to come!
Fontana di Palazzo dei Priori (1626)
Palazzo Papale (1255), a historical
and architectural jewel of Viterbo
off the Piazza San Carluccio


No comments:

Post a Comment