Friday, March 14, 2014

Happy Pi Day!

Because today is March 14 (i.e. 3.14), my advisees and I celebrated Pi Day by having a huge pie-fest in my apartment.  Last month I hosted an advisee birthday party because between the last week of January and the second week of February, nearly half of my advisees were celebrating a birthday.  Sadly, I accidentally erased all of those photos before downloading them to my computer :-(.

Not to worry, I knew I'd be able to snap a few more photos on Pi Day!  So three of my advisees were in charge of bringing Pi Day to life.  After school, they walked up to my apartment and, from scratched produced a cheesecake (okay, not technically a pie I guess but made in a pie pan) and another "cookie" pie that were out of this world!  Furthermore, two of them brought two apple pies they had made the night before.  Throw in 7 more advisees as guests, some milk and coke (their idea, not mine), a deck of cards and some music (of course, don't forget the yummy pies), and voila, it's a Pi Day party!

In the picture above, are my three pie bakers!  From left to right we have Jacqui (Massachusetts), Momo (Hawaii) and Tatiana (California) holding their prized cheesecake with the "Pi" symbol in the center.  Well done, ladies!  In the picture to the right we have 10 of my 13 advisees waiting with anticipation for the cheesecake to cool.  From left to right we have Momo, Tatiana, Jacqui, Corynne (NJ), Victoria (CA), Nico (DC), Rhyan (NH), Rachel (CT), Albert (PA), and Nick (CA).  Not pictured are Reggie (CA), Akbar (CT) and Roman (CA).

This last picture isn't showing a pie either, nor was it made on Pi Day.  But in the spirit of it being circular and the fact that it's a Unit Circle cake (with Nutella frosting, made by one of my honors precal/trig students), I thought I'd include this one as well.  Actually Emma (VA) was the student and she got me in our Secret Santa Gift Exchange.  This was my gift!  Cute, mathy and quite creative, don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment